The District recently received a $2500 grant from The Onion Foundation to fund a roving Courtesy Boat Inspector. Invasive plant species can be easily moved between lakes, and boat inspectors inspect boats at the landing for invasive plant material before they enter the water. Some lakes in Maine have their own boat inspectors, but many, including lakes on state owned land, do not. The District has teamed up with the Hancock County Lakes Association to run a trial roving boat inspector program for the summer, in order to get inspectors out to lakes that are not normally monitored. A part-time worker will be hired to do much of the monitoring, and volunteers will also conduct inspections. The District is working hard to protect our lakes in innovative ways!
- ~ This Position Has Been Filled: Courtesy Boat Inspector for Summer 2021 ~
- ~ Free Soil Testing Program for 2021 ~
- ~Forest Roads, Forestry and Farm Workshop – Go to ‘Events’ on Our Home Page to Register~
- ~ Shellfish Resiliency Project for Hancock County ~
- Our 2021 Brook Trout Sale Has Ended! Thank you – see you next year!